Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Do you have time?? NOOOOO!

So the girl child had been set to get her tonsils removed on December 27th.  We would be at hospital for her pre-op work on the 26th, coincidentally, about 14 steps from where I needed to go to find out my mammo results.  Easy enough!  Besides, if "Daddy" gives me ONE. MORE. LECTURE. about taking care of MYSELF, I'm going to SCREEEEEAAAAAM.  Fine! Done and DONE!  I set the appointment.  Come to think of it, it has been bothering me more lately...kind of like when I nursed and I was a bit engorged...or maybe it was even burning on occasion.  I don't know for sure how to best describe it but it was definitely more bothersome.  Be it my imagination, because I knew something was there, or not...I was ready for it be get shrunk, at the very least.

Strangely, it wasn't just a pop in, "Yup, all is well" appointment.  I had to get back into the lovely robe and wait in the ultra-nice, swanky sitting room because the radiologist needed more views of the mammo.  Well YAY me!  Another mammo??  Merry late Christmas to ME---sheesh! I was sooooo regretting not canceling a FIFTH time.  I really need to be devoting all of my focus on my girl and her tonsils. DRAT!!

So I sat, after the newest mammo, and another nurse came in and kindly told me that they'd like to do an ultrasound, if I have time today.  And, if not, they could get me in tomorrow.  My inside screamed, "NO! Actually I don't have time! My daughter has surgery in the wee hours of the morning and I still have to spend quality time with her, quality time with the son (in case the Nurse Momma time takes up the rest of the break and he didn't have my undivided attention...no, HE doesn't care that I'm not hovering, in his way, but *I* do).  Plus, I still had to buy popsicles and any other soft foods I could get creative with,  and etc., etc.  Besides that… Lady!  Have you NOT seen my track record??  SURELY they have some notes or something that tells you…I’m not gonna be coming back tomorrow.  The thought of hearing my husband, with his “father tone” one more time crept into my mind and, suddenly, I heard myself politely reply, “Sure, I have time” and followed her into the darkened room for an ultrasound.

As I laid there, the ultrasound tech and nurses murmured to each other as they prepped the equipment.  *I* was running my to-do list of the rest of the day through my head, once again.  The tech did her thing, she was funny, we figured out that she knew some people back in Indiana, fairly near my old stomping ground.  It went quickly, the gel was oh-so-courteously-warmed, the conversation light and good and soon I was escorted back into the sitting room but instructed not to dress just yet.  Apparently, the radiologist liked to look over the ultrasound himself, in case (like the mammo) he needed to see something again or better or...whatever.

As the smiling nurse popped her head back in, she said that the radiologist wanted to rescan one of the areas and I was, again, led back into the darkened room and he almost silently rescanned my “cyst” and armpit area.  Before I knew he was even finished, he’d sat in a chair, softly crossed his arms, the nurses had de-KY Jellied me, and propped my table up into a chair position.  The lights remained low and it was hard to see his expression but there was no missing the, “Well, I wish I had better news for you.”  Holy hell, are you KIDDING ME??  It is *JUST* A CYST!!

No comments:

Post a Comment